CAurasel

...

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Ready, Set, Grind (Episode 3) - Streetwear: Made In Kenya by Rey Mungai

For those who read my personal blog (Daily Rey Magazine), you might have come across an article that I wrote about the streetwear culture in Kenya a while ago, it was pretty much a subtle rant to be honest. For those who haven't read it, you can check it out right here. Now on today's RSG episode, I will be expounding a little more on the topic by sharing my insights on what I think of the streetwear culture in Kenya; what we are doing right, wrong and what we should do different. it will all be according to my point of view; so don't get all mad at me for laying down some basic truths.

Okay, first off we have pretty much a good number of brands to have a grip on the international streetwear market... but we haven't done it. When i say a good number; let me mention a few:

  • Vazzi Clothing
  • 29 Clothing
  • Mavazi Afrique
  • Like A Boss
  • PoEd
Just to name a few. There are a lot more brands that I have not mentioned  but you know them (for you guys in Kenya). For those who know me probably know that I also have my own brand; BLVCK Posse Apparel Co. and I did not mention it either. This is because we offer worldwide shipping and I have pretty much garnered a more substantial clientele in Europe and the USA as compared to Kenya. Most brands here cite courier charge as being too expensive for them to ship internationally; which I don't understand because if you believe in your product it will sell. You wanna know how to hack it? I got a few tips for you don't worry:
  1. Create world-class material:
This is where most Kenyan brands go wrong; unless you're comfortable with just selling to a small number of people in the country (which I am very sure no brand wants). Every brand envisions success not just in it's home country but globally... tell me if I'm wrong please.
Getting people to know your brand is great and most brands do this by branding their logos on a few pieces of apparel. I did that too; but not for every single collection I drop. You need to show some creativity to survive the cutthroat waters of international streetwear cultures from here to Tokyo and back. You cant seriously spend two years as a brand and you are still doing logo treatments for all your releases; to me that is just weak (just my opinion). Contract a great designer and work with them on the designs if you have to BUT CREATE APPAREL THAT COMPETES ON A GLOBAL PLATFORM. Don't you forget that.


   2.  Get online:

From Etsy to Storenvy and Bigcartel; you have absolutely no reason not to open up an online store and start selling to new clients all over the globe. Kenyan brands have that potential but we don't utilize it almost at all. That's all I'm going to say.



Getting Kenya to where we all want it is not only up to the brands but customers as well. I love fashion and there is nothing that honestly annoys me more than seeing us as the Kenyan youth spending a lot of money to buy fake items of clothing from designers you saw on a music video (remember the Versace craze?). From some people I know rocking fake HBA and flaunting it to seeing people in town wearing terribly misspelled designer t-shirts. I mean come on, since when did Maison Margiela collaborate with Hood By Air to produce a tee written 'Margeila' ?? Once you start misspelling such iconic brands (and at this point they claim it's authentic MMM and not a parody) you are absolutely losing it bud. All the while you could buy authentic Vazzi and flaunt is insanely because for one, it's 100% authentic and two, what do you think is the reason most of this American and European brands become iconic? Support straight from home.

All in all, I'm not laying all the blame on the consumers, brands also have to step up their game when it comes to the creativity behind their releases (as I already mentioned) and please guys, quit wearing fake stuff and flaunting how real it is... it ain't a pretty picture.

I hope you got informed in one way or the other on this post. Drop a comment and tell me your thoughts on the whole subject guys! Or get me on social media for questions, comments or complaints:

Instagram: @reymungai
Facebook: Reynolds Mungai
Twitter: @dailyreymag

My personal blog: dailyrey.wordpress.com

I look forward to hearing from you guys:

Cheers,
Rey

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your point of view, it goes to show how informed and smart you are. I also love the tips you've given, very helpful and informative. I like the fact that Kenyan youth are coming up with unique brands with quality products, but most of them should definitely think "international" when undertaking their business. Great post!
    http://juanamaua.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Yvonne, thank you for reading this post and we appreciate your support. Our team is looking more into tapping exquisite, rare and unique talent by giving them Information to make their ideologies work.
      I love the art In Jua na Maua btw

      Delete
  2. Sturban clothing really pride themselves on the individual style, creating one-off and limited edition clothing. POLONRG a Bristol based Brand are doing the same for Bristol Streetwear. Being ahead of trends is something they've grown accustomed to. I know they're always my first choice when it comes to independent companies to buy from. Releasing new streetwear ranges practically monthly there's always something new for their customers to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking. high waisted yoga capri

    ReplyDelete
  4. So once it comes to choosing your ideal logo configuration there is a ton to consider! In the event that you have utilized the administrations of an expert structure firm to create a logo for you then you could discover they concoct various plans for your thought. logo design service

    ReplyDelete
  5. ?m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that?s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.online shopping in lahore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.
    Online shopping in pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting, good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog; so convincing.Keep it up. Jesse Keyes

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for this usefull article, waiting for this article like this again. wholesale clothes

    ReplyDelete